List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: KDE now has its own Matrix infrastructure
From:       Christian Loosli <kde () fuchsnet ! ch>
Date:       2019-02-26 17:37:56

Am Dienstag, 26. Februar 2019, 17:54:38 CET schrieb Paul Brown:

Hello Paul,

> > The workboard item is https://phabricator.kde.org/T10477,  it wasn't
> > tagged KDE promo, it wasn't sent to the dot-editors list
>
> This is true. However, there were good reasons for keeping things under
> wraps:
>
> Firstly nobody wanted it to pop up on some place like Reddit, have a bunch
> of people cascade into the servers before they were ready, then moan on
> line how KDE can't get anything right and "bring back KDE 3!". Safeguarding
> KDE's reputation is one of Promo's prime directives.

well, in my opinion we managed quite the opposite, to be honest.
Not only did we publish an article that was wrong and looked a bit
unprofessional, personally I also think having at least some more testing
before going public by a group would have been helpful.

First of all, we did have performance issues when it got live. First due to a
bug that is, as far as I am aware, now fixed. Now due to the bridge being the
shared matrix bridge, which is under quite a load, hence having a couple of
seconds of delay between sending messages and seeing them / message order
mixup, which is to be solved (likely by switching over to a dedicated bridge)

That, and the few bugs reported (and some of them fixed) in the matrix kde
support channel right after release are all things I think could have been
ironed out before release if tested.

In addition to that, the internal-only approach seems to have lead to a rather
biased / sided article which, according to Lazlo, still comes across as biased
/ sided. This is of course debateable, but I can see where he is coming from.

So I think some "not getting it right" moaning is warranted, and the "bring
back KDE 3" people will always be there, and everything looks a nail if all
you have is a hammer, so no matter what we do and how we do it: it can be used
as an argument.

That all in mind is why I think the approach was maybe not the best one and
should be reconsidered for future events and articles.

> Cheers

Thanks and kind regards,

> Paul

Christian