List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: ANNOUNCE: Heading for KDE 1.1.2 release
From:       Matthias Hoelzer-Kluepfel <mhk () caldera ! de>
Date:       1999-05-27 17:53:14

On Thu, 27 May 1999, Torsten Rahn wrote:

> Please post these to kde-artist@kde.org , too!
> You should know why ... :-)

Yes, now I know. It is hard to keep track of the various
mailinglists... ;)

> Icon's are still somewhere between a 50-70% completion
> level with increasing development speed. (But we still
> need more artists -- especially people who are really good
> at drawing icons!!!).

Well, experience shows that it is much, much harder to get
artists than to get programmers. I know a friend who is quite
good at design and drawing. I will ask him to help a bit.

> To make sure that we are right in time we should aim to
> have the whole set finished by end of june. The whole
> icon-set should be moved to the CVS-tree then.

I guess the icons are not time critical, as they won't
generate bugs, so we can add icons until the last stages of
the release, but aiming for end of June is good.

Do you know if the necessary patches are already in the 1.1.1
branch?

And I think it would be good to start adding the icons as soon
as possible to CVS, as this will allow to test if everything
is installed in the right places etc. etc.

> Still worrying about the size I think that we should
> include 5 themes. Not more and not less. Three of them
> probably are:
>
> - A yet to be designed KDE-default-HiColor-Theme
> - MacOS-Theme (I don't really want to ask but what about
>   any possible copyright-problems concerning this one?)
> - Drawing-board-Theme

5 is ok. We can't put more into it, because of the size.
Concerning the MacOS-Theme: We had this discussion several
times, and we simply don't know. M$ once proved that you can't
copyright the "look&feel", and I don't think we will run into
problems, but we should never simply copy existing artwork.

> The artist-team needs kthememgr -- so this one has to be
> at least included.

Yes, this app should move to the newly to create kthemes
module asap.

> The other apps, hmm, ask Stephan Kulow about these.
> Personally I would say that kpackage and Caitoo are
> really essential programs that many people would need
> much more than many other apps included in KDE.
> But that's only my opinion and as I am only the
> coordinator of the Artist-Team ask Stephan about it.

I guess we will not add applications to the existing modules
like kdeutils et. al., in order not to introduce new problems.
If there are apps ready for prime time, they should be
released as standalone packages, like kpackage.

Bye,
Matthias.