List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: ANNOUNCE: Heading for KDE 1.1.2 release
From:       Robert Flemming <flemming () valinux ! com>
Date:       1999-05-27 22:38:25

Torsten Rahn wrote:
> Themes:
> ======
> Still worrying about the size I think that we should
> include 5 themes. Not more and not less. Three of them
> probably are:
>
> - A yet to be designed KDE-default-HiColor-Theme
> - MacOS-Theme (I don't really want to ask but what about
>   any possible copyright-problems concerning this one?)
> - Drawing-board-Theme

Seeing as how I made both of the only actual themes mentioned I think I
should pipe up.  The answer is "I don't know"  MacOS and DrawingBoard
are certainly two of the best ones (I'm trying to be modest ;) but they
are both ripped off from Apple.  The DrawingBoard theme was a MacOS 8.5
theme that was created by Apple but never released.  It made it's way
onto the internet and spread pretty quick.  But Apple also went around
threatening those had it available for download from their web sites.  I
created the theme based on a screenshot of that theme.  I recently
helped MacMillan with the CDROM for "Teach Yourself KDE 1.1 in 24 Hours"
and I decided not to include those themes as well as any others that
contained images copyrighted by others (ie Spiderman (Marvel), SuperGirl
(H.R Giger), Screamin (BRUTE!)), just to protect myself.  So it's a
tough call, KDE is obviously going to end up on CDROMs all over the
place that are for sale and that makes it legally pretty hairy.  If they
are going to go into the distribution I hope someone will let me know so
I can make sure that everything is looking good and make a few minor
fixes (that I know need to be done, but just haven't gotten to).  I just
don't want a call from Apple's lawyers :)  Here at VA our VP of
Engineering is from Apple and in fact his wife is a lawyer for Apple,
and he has said there is no way in hell he would ever include either of
those themes with our machines because of the liability.  It's kind of a
bummer for me, but then again I really didn't create anything I just
made it work so it's not like my art is being shot down ;)

Take Care All

Robert