List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Bug 163311
From:       Oswald Buddenhagen <ossi () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-06-29 8:30:57

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 01:01:56AM -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > you just need to eliminate the nonsensical interpretations yourself,
> > then the spec becomes Clear Enough (TM).
>
> Good of you to notice that I was being nonsensical.  I might add that I
> was doing it consciously and deliberately.

this is not a strategy that buys you much. you are expected to mark
deliberate nonsense as such, otherwise people just think that you are
annoyingly stupid.

> > there are basically three kind of applications:
> > - core desktop apps that do not make sense outside of their desktop.
> >   they can install their icon into the native theme.
>
> Right, like Konqueror?

most definitely not.
on actually trying it, i failed to come up with a single app that would
fit that category, in fact. even the kde menu editor might make some
sense under gnome, given xdg and such.

> > - generic tools that don't demand branding.
>
> Right, like Konsole?  Well it has a XDG standard name icon.

i guess.

> So, perhaps another utility.  How about Klipper?  Where is its icon?
>
> In Oxygen which is where you think that it should be.

hmm? it shouldn't have an own icon in the first place. we are in the
generic tool category.

> But, can I run Klipper in GNOME?

sure. theoretically.

> KSnapShot.  Where is it's icon?  Hmmmm.  I find them both in HiColor
> and in Oxygen.  I installed a package of KDE3 Oxygen icons and that is
> where the Oxygen icon came from.  The KDE4 KSnapShot icon is in
> HiColor.  Which one is the menu using?  The Oxygen one. :-|

what's wrong with that?

> KDE and GNOME are part of the OS and as such applications for them are
> not really third party applications.

scoping error. think about it.

> >> BTW, what is a second party app.
> >>
> > there is no such thing. the second party is the user, by whichever
> > definition.
> >
> On then, what is a first party application?

that would be the implementor of the spec, obviously.

do more research on your own. you are stealing our time.

Confusion, chaos, panic - my work here is done.