List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Bug 163311
From:       Jakob Petsovits <jpetso () gmx ! at>
Date:       2008-06-29 9:04:54

On Sunday 29 June 2008, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> So, "pinheiro" doesn't want my help with artwork.  And the Oxygen group
> needs some technical help.  It is impossible to work with "jpetso".

Yeah, I might be hard to work with. That's because I care if important stuff
breaks in a way that I don't find acceptable.

> Every issue I found while working on the renaming of the old icons and
> bring up, he argues against my ideas but there is no resolution of any
> of the issues -- odd how nothing was done till I brought the issues up.

Ok, sure, I might not be the most productive guy around. (As opposed to
pinheiro, who artworks his ass off and gets critizised for it much more often
than I am.) You don't have to look far to find people working on stuff a lot
more than I do on Oxygen.

Still, I believe that no solution is still better than a bad solution, as the
"no solution" part can be fixed anytime someone comes up with a good solution,
whereas the "bad solution" part sticks for a long time and causes
maintainability issues.

If I argue against your opinions then it's because I think the current state
is better than the solution that you propose. Don't take it personally,
either, I'm just as well trying to help KDE as I think is best for it.

>   So, I have given up on the renaming of the old icons.  It is clear
> that there is a "Help NOT Wanted" sign here and it doesn't just apply to
> me.  So, I guess I will give up on artwork.

I think you won't. You have not given up when people were all pissed off on
the hicolor "theme vs. namespace" discussion, you have not given up even after
you announced that health related issue, and you care deeply about this stuff.

Personally, yeah, I consider you the only "poisonous developer" I ever
encountered. And yeah, kde-artists would be a more peaceful place if you give
up on artwork. But that's just my personal opinion, and I do recognize that
the work you're doing is valuable too. So although I'd indeed rather see you
leaving, it's not up to me to say that you should do so. I chime in with
pinheiro's "help wanted, but not from you" but if you choose to stay then
that's just the way it goes.

In that case, I might be the one to give up on artwork.

Regards,
  Jakob