List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Bug 163311
From:       Oswald Buddenhagen <ossi () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-06-29 7:01:19

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 05:15:58PM -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Kenneth Wimer wrote:
> > Every app can be a third party app depending on which desktop you
> > prefer.
>
> Not my definition of a third party app, so I think that we can agree
> that the spec needs some clarification.

you just need to eliminate the nonsensical interpretations yourself,
then the spec becomes Clear Enough (TM).
there are basically three kind of applications:
- core desktop apps that do not make sense outside of their desktop.
  they can install their icon into the native theme.
  there isn't more than a handful of such applications per desktop.
- generic tools that don't demand branding. every desktop ships them,
  but they identify themselves with standard icons. gnome is quite
  consequential about that. kde likes branding, so this class is small
  in kde. fwiw, now that i think about it, it is in fact silly to
  standardize any app icons. what should be standardized are the
  motives, so the apps can provide intuitive, but still branded icons.
  generally, this is happening anyway.
- branded apps that can be used everywhere. they *are* 3rd party apps
  from every other desktop's developer's pov. to make this work
  reciprocally, they have to be treated as 3rd party apps by the own
  desktop, too. so ken is right. that simple.

> BTW, what is a second party app.

there is no such thing. the second party is the user, by whichever
definition.

Confusion, chaos, panic - my work here is done.