List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Bug 163311
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2008-06-29 1:41:48

Kenneth Wimer wrote:
> On Sunday 29 June 2008 02:15:58 you wrote:
>> Kenneth Wimer wrote:

>>> Every app can be a third party app depending on which desktop you prefer.
>>> This does cause some problems with overwriting existing icons but it is
>>> either this or the old system. I think it is an improvement. In the long
>>> term we'd probably like to see something better but for now it is an
>>> improvement.
>> Not my definition of a third party app, so I think that we can agree
>> that the spec needs some clarification.
>>
>> BTW, what is a second party app.
>
> Very nice. Totally irrelevant but what the heck. If at first you don't succed
> try, try again!

No, it is very relevant.  My take on this is that WordPerfect for Linux
would be a third party application.  But, I don't see KDE and GNOME apps
as being third party applications.  For lack of a better term, it would
seem that apps that are built with a desktop toolkit are second party apps.

I was reading the spec as I would read a legal document.  I figured that
if apps that ship with KDE can be considered third party apps that there
was no reason to use the term in the spec since the only useful usage
would be do differentiate third party apps from other types of apps.
So, at least in the context of the spec, I can't see KDE apps being
third party applications.

Forgot to mention, I agree with what you said about the other questions
and yes we need to look to finding a better solution.

--
JRT