List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Bug 163311
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2008-06-28 21:59:02

Kenneth Wimer wrote:
> Oh, here we go again :-)

Not really, things have changed with the new standardized icon names.
Perhaps you should read what I said and read the current spec more
carefully rather than trying to find some excuse to start a rant.

> The xdg icon spec says that hicolor is only a place for 3rd party
> apps to put their app icon - that is all it really says, reading more
>  into it is not really what a spec is there for.

Yes and that is a reasonable solution to the issues raised by the
standard icon names.  Perhaps not the solution that I would have chosen,
but certainly a reasonable solution since with standard names, we can
not have multiple desktops installing HiColor icons.  The only other
solution would be to have an independently maintained HiColor theme and
this seems like it would be redundant since we already have the Tango
project.

Note that the XDG icon spec does not say "only".

What hasn't changed is that KDE still will not follow the spec.  I have
always found this ironic since the spec is based on the KDE icon system.

There are still issues that need to be resolved, but these are now new
issues.  One of these issues is to define "third party application".

> There is no hicolor theme

And the spec says:

"there should always exist a theme called 'hicolor'"

I guess that what you mean is that we should not use that name for an
icon theme.  See above.

> and certainly no "generalized, generic" style (we've had this
> discussion before, remember?)

It is certain that you are opposed to it.  And yes, you have ranted
about this before.

The spec still says:

"It is recommended that the icons installed in the hicolor theme look
neutral, since it is a fallback theme that will be used in combination
with some very different looking themes"

I agree that 'neutral' is a better choice of words than the previous ones.

> Everyone knows you like the KDE classic icons,

What would that have to do with anything even if it were true?

> unforutnately nobody else really likes them anymore.

I said that it made no sense (in KDE3) to rename the existing HiColor
icons KDEClassic.  Perhaps you can explain the rational for doing this.
  If what was wanted was to prevent people from using them, this still
wasn't necessary.

This (the statement about renaming) has nothing to do with the fact that
I do not like CrystalSVG.  Note: NOT liking Crystal SVG does not mean
that I like KDEClassic (what I said was that KDEClassic was more
usable).  Perhaps you should take a (refresher) course in logic before
someone convinces you that Socrates' cat is a dog. :-D

> On Saturday 28 June 2008 22:00:18 James Richard Tyrer wrote: <snip>
>> We always say that, but if we took down the "Help NOT Wanted" sign,
>>  we might be surprised at how much more manpower was available.
>
> I take offence at that.

Please don't take offense at it, do something about it.  If there wasn't
truth to it, I wouldn't say it.  We have "jpetso" and "pinheiro" being
rather clear that they don't want help, yet the work doesn't get done.
This is a syndrome that, unfortunately, exists in volunteer organizations.

> You have nothing to do with the actual artwork so going around saying
>  things like this is simply inflammatory.

I presume that this means that you are willing to remove all of the
artwork that I have done from KDE.

But seriously, don't you think that this is circular reasoning?

--
JRT