List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] OpenDocument MIME icons
From:       pinheiro <nuno () oxygen-icons ! org>
Date:       2007-05-18 7:36:32

A Friday 18 May 2007 02:10:12, James Richard Tyrer escreveu:
> David Vignoni wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
> > detail is needed to make it look gorgeus, is that enough? if you
> > don't need a gorgeous icon theme that's ok, but don't blame for ever.
>
> You don't understand.  Details smaller than 1 pixel at 128x128 probably
> won't make any difference.  Example: the row of holes in the ODF-text
> icon.  These contain detail that is not rendered at all at 128x128
> pixels.  So, this detail is not needed.
>
> > Aren't you going to use hi-color anyway?
>
> There is NO HiColor theme in KDE.  Someone outlawed it.  I do currently
> use my theme: UsrHiColor which you describe as prehistoric, but if
> Oxygen is just as easy to see, I will use it.

> >> Yes the large icons look nice at 512x512 pixels, but icons need to
> >> be designed to be viewed at the common sizes of 32x32 and 48x48
> >> pixels. Some icons (for specific reasons) need to be hand optimized
> >> for those sizes.  But, in general, Icons should be designed to look
> >> good at 32x32 and 48x48 if possible.  They certainly should look
> >> good at 64x64 pixels -- nothing should be fuzzy at that size.
> >
> > it would look nice and 512x512 if the goal was you being able to read
> > the dumb text I wrote inside. But that's not the purpose.
> > The goal is to make it look like real text.
>
> Yes, I understand that you want something other than just grey lines in
> the larger sized.  But that does not mean that the low contrast is
> acceptable.
>
> > Getting sick of this discussion which is pointless, since we already
> > told the world we care about small resolutions.
>
> Nice that you care.  I will work on this icon to illustrate some of the
> points that I have made in the past.
>
> It isn't enough to care about small sizes, you need to lay the SVG icons
> out on a 128x128 pixel grid just the same as if you were making a PNG,
> You have not done that.  All major details should be on 8 pixel
> boundaries if possible and always on 4 pixel boundaries.  If you make
> the icons this way, they will render better in smaller sizes and it will
> be easier to hand optimize them for small sizes.  In general, even
> though you are using SVG, you should design the icons based not on how
> they look in InkScape, but rather on how they will render as PNGs in
> 48x48 and 32x32.

Man you talk a lot and and have no clue on what you say, have you any idea
the amount of work we put in the icons? dude if you would bother to talk to
us and not at us you would know that we use a 128px svg icon with a 4px grid
and major grid off 8 px.
But i gess you never wanted to know!

--

core oxygen icon designer