List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] OpenDocument MIME icons
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-05-18 2:31:10

Cyrille Berger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can't you just create an icon theme that you would like to use ? And leave
> others to choose an icon theme that they want to use ? Official KDE icon theme
> needs to be good looking because it will be shown on KDE's screenshots, it's
> all a question of marketing, and if you don't want to use it, use something
> else.

You seem to miss my point.  I also want the Official KDE icon theme
(Oxygen) to be good looking.  There is nothing good looking about icons
which are fuzzy, lacking contrast and too light in color.  When I first
saw the Oxygen theme, I liked it, but that does not mean that I should
not offer constructive criticism to try to improve it.

> As for myself, I don't like the default of 32x32 icons for mimetype, I just
> change it as soon as I can (to bigger one, to get details and something I can
> distinguish), that's not a big deal. And if I get bored of Oxygen or I don't
> like some of their icons, I either use an other theme or change the icons I
> don't like.

The fact that you don't use 32x32 icons doesn't mean that we don't need
good icons in 32x32.

Icons need to be *designed* to look good at 32x32 and 48x48.  Designing
icons requires more than just artistic effort, they also need to be
engineered.

--
JRT