List:       kde-artists
Subject:    [kde-artists] Mimetype icons
From:       Jarosław_Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2007-05-05 20:43:25

Hello,
I've tried to find out some possible (not necessary new?) issues with mimetype
icons:

1. following icons could be created in a similar way as 'source-java':
- text-css - by including 'css' word
- text-sgml - by including 'sgml' word
- text-x-dtd - by including 'dtd' word

2. Using </> in 'text-xml' and 'xml' icons looks clever/innovative, but I
believe staying with 'xml' text or at most, '<xml>' would help more users to
recognize the icon and put it in their memory

3. text-x-csharp could made the same as source-csharp

3.1. text-x-adasrc could be created using 'ada' or 'Ada' text (yes, just
'ada', because IIRC, unfortunately Ada programming language have no one
standard for header/source filename extensions).

4. Consider having lowercase letters (like in 'source-java') instead of
uppercase for all 'source-....' icons;
In particular (at first contact, and IMHO): "PY" in 'source-py' and "H" in
'source-h' icon looks exotic, compared to "py", and 'h', respectively.
That said I suspect the capitalization comes from crystalsvg theme.

4.1. 'text-x-pascal' icon could be created as "pas" (reusing filename
extension) instead of "P"

5. Optionally: application-vnd.sun.xml.calc.svg and
application-vnd.sun.xml.calc.template.svg could be made the same as
application-vnd.oasis.opendocument.spreadsheet.svg and
application-vnd.oasis.opendocument.spreadsheet-template.svg, respectively or
even dropped -- I think that having '</>' sign makes the icon too detailed so
for downscaling unnecessary work would be needed without clear benefit.

6. I would welcome application-vnd.oasis.opendocument.database-template
icon with enthusiasm as there will be some database template files in use in
KDE4.

By the way, thanks for the great improved database mimetype and Kexi app
icons!

7. Spreadshets and presentations are also a part of OpenDocument so I guess
the top-left "ODF" sign will be eventually present in
application-vnd.oasis.opendocument.spreadsheet.svg and
application-vnd.oasis.opendocument.presentation.svg too?

8. Generic 'spreadsheet' icon could be used for 'application-x-gnumeric',
'pplication-x-quattropro', 'application-x-siag', and
'application-x-applix-spreadsheet' because now these latter icons differ in
style from all other spreadsheet icons (without clear reason?).

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek