List:       kde-artists
Subject:    [kde-artists] kde-artists.org feedback
From:       "Carlos Leonhard Woelz" <carloswoelz () imap-mail ! com>
Date:       2005-08-31 19:10:51

Hi,

Since there is talk of kde-artists.org forums versus kde-artists list
discussion, I would like to provide some feedback on the kde-artists
website.

Please don't get me wrong: I really appreciate your work putting this
up. It looks great and work great. Here are some suggestions to
*improve* it.

When we started the artwork contests, using kde-look.org, we quickly
increased awareness for the artwork needs of KDE, and a quick way to get
feedback. And "we" really includes me, as I posted the first contest,
see
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-artists&m=108128380918774&w=2 .

A nice part of the kde-look.org framework is that even if the artwork
piece wasn't selected, users could download it and install it if they
liked. Also it is easy to see "what's new", and you can integrate to the
Get Hot New Stuff framework. The kde-artists.org framework has several
advantages, including access to guides and documentation for creating
KDE artwork, and a place for general discussions. But some of the
advantages of kde-look we lost:

- A front page with "what's new".
- The possibility to download the themes and try them.
- The possiblity to integrate to the GHNS
- It is hard to follow what is happening, one has to read all
discussions. A view of the last posts, outside threads could be helpful.

This all makes it a less kde-look more enjoyable for users, and for many
artists that are not currently integrated in the process is hard to
follow the different parallel contests and discussions.

So here are some suggestions:

- Make the front page a what's new page, with the latest submissions.
- List all the current artwork requests, and their time limit.
- Use the kde-look, -files and -apps framework for submissions, in order
to make each contribution for kde-artist also available for the get hot
new stuff framework and to users directly.

Cheers,

Carlos Woelz