List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Crystal,Everaldo, KDE and other subjects
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2005-06-25 5:45:10

Everaldo wrote:
<SNIP>
We greatly appreciate the work you have done for KDE.  Even if I make
technical comments as an engineer, this does not mean that I do not
respect your work as an artst.  You new  icon theme is excellent work,
and it also appears to address some of the technical usability issues of
your previous work.

However, the decision has been made to support SVG files for KDE icons
so we need to somehow produce SVG files for your new icon theme.

> 5-        SGV. I use Adobe Illustrator to develop the vectors files.
> You may donıt like this, if is so, I would ask you to create an
> opensource program that include the same A.I. facilities e tools and
> I will happily use it.

I struggle with InkScape, Sodipodi, and a text editor.  So for serious
art work, there is no question that AI is better.  Adobe uses extensions
to the SVG standard and it would be better if you could avoid using
these extensions.  But, I don't know if there is a simple way to turn
them off in AI.

> The SVGs created by A.I CS are not supported by the KDE, I know that
> some technical problems exist but remember, Iım not technician Iım a
> designer/illustrator.

Yes, and I understand that you are an artist and I am an engineer.  You
do artistic stuff and I worry about technical details.

> The fact is that the icons developed in A.I. are not well supported
> by KDE

You are correct here as well.  SVG files with Adobe extensions are not
well supported by KDE.

> and this is the reason why I have decided for developing the icons in
> .png. Another import fact is that the vector icons when sized up
> automatically do not maintain a nice visual in the small sizes.

Yes, we need 16x16, 22x22, 32x32, & 48x48 in PNG and a 128x128 px SVG
for larger sizes (although we can get by with only 16x16 & 22x22, the
32x32 & 48x48 PNGs often look better than the rendering from SVG).

I suggest that as a solution to the AI SVG problem that if you can make
AI files with the option to allow them to be opened in Acrobat Reader
enabled and provide them to us that we can then take care of making the
actual SVG files for KDE.  You don't have to worry about the technical
details.

--
JRT