List:       kde-artists
Subject:    [kde-artists] Crystal,Everaldo, KDE and other subjects
From:       Everaldo <everaldo () everaldo ! com>
Date:       2005-06-24 19:37:59

Hello KDE artists,

I have seen a lot of discussion about me, my work and KDE and decided to
write some points that I would like to make known by everyone.

1-       Iım not a KDE enemy. Iıve been working for three years, every day
for KDE and wasnıt few the number of night without sleep that Iıve dedicated
to this project. This was KDE before I start to work on it
http://hellspawn.dnsalias.net/~mircomir/images/hobx11/kde2_1.gif
<http://hellspawn.dnsalias.net/~mircomir/images/hobx11/kde2_1.gif> and this
is KDE nowadays http://kdelook.org/content/pre1/25668-1.jpg
<http://kdelook.org/content/pre1/25668-1.jpg> . A lot of things have changed
since I started. Iıve done thousands of graphics for KDE and I believe that
I can surely say that no other artist, even Trackat that was the artist that
most contributed to KDE and that is my inspirations for many of my works,
contributed with as many graphics as I did. I did it not expecting for
money, disclosure or anything else. I did it for my desk top, some people
like it and then the thing was spread.
2-        Iım in love with KDE. This is the reason for me to dedicate so
much time to this project. It is also the reason Iıve never stopped to work
for KDE and why I never will.  I get nothing but personal realization, so
please donıt think KDE is doing me a favor.
3-       IıM NOT RICH. IıM NOT RICH. I mention twice the last sentence so
you can really understand that. I donıt count with someone to take care of
my living while Iım drawing icons for KDE. I need to eat (believe me!  the
body is a frail thing and if it donıt get feed it may die, it is also not
invulnerable to the weather changes and it needs clothes, so I need money to
provide me this kind of things) and if you canıt understand this, it is
maybe because you donıt live in a country that still have enormous social
differences among its people like Brazil. IıM NOT RICH and this is the
reason why I have to work and canıt dedicate myself full time for KDE. IıM
NOT RICH and this is the reason why I sometimes have no time to read all the
emails that are sent to this email list. IıM NOT RICH and because that Iıve
never take an English curse to make  my communication with you guys better.
IıM NOT RICH and this is the reason Iıve never went to college. IıM NOT RICH
and because of that Iıve never went to one of the KDE international
conventions.
4-       Codes and fonts? There are such things for images? Where are the
KDE fonts and wallpapers files? Where are the fonts codes of KDE splashes?
The codes of Office splashes? I donıt think it was a problem when they was
included in the official packages. Sincerely, if you canıt edit a 128x128
.png I think maybe you should rethink about your designer abilities. But
even Iıve considered this a completely non sense request Iıll send it as
soon I can get my files organized. However you have to understand that not
all the icons were developed in as vector file the greater part was made in
pixels 128 x128 and then sizes up in to the small sizes so you may not get
much vector files of the icons.
5-        SGV. I use Adobe Illustrator to develop the vectors files. You may
donıt like this, if is so, I would ask you to create an opensource program
that include the same A.I. facilities e tools and I will happily use it. The
SVGs created by A.I CS are not supported by the KDE, I know that some
technical problems exist but remember, Iım not technician Iım a
designer/illustrator. The fact is that the icons developed in A.I. are not
well supported by KDE and this is the reason why I have decided for
developing the icons in .png. Another import fact is that the vector icons
when sized up automatically do not maintain a nice visual in the small
sizes. Maybe a good solution for that should be create a kind of SVG file
for the KDE icons that include a simplified icons that would be used in
smaller sizes and another , with more details, that would be used for bigger
files. Anyways on the next days Iıll be launching a new icon theme called
³Vectorial² that will be entirely made in SGV and will use outlines for a
better visualization of the smaller sizes, however this is not a visual that
I like. I really think that the vector icons are the future, a proof of that
is that Microsoft will use this technology on Longhorn
http://i.cmpnet.com/desktoppipeline/story_art/lh5048_07.jpg
<http://i.cmpnet.com/desktoppipeline/story_art/lh5048_07.jpg>
unfortunately, I have not found anything good for Linux yet.

To conclude, I would like to say that have always been a great honor to
contribute with KDE. A lot of people are happy with Crystal and a proof of
that is the large number of downloads and the material that are launched all
the time by people that are not from KDE taken Crystal as an inspiration. I
really think that if you are not grateful for what you have you donıt
deserve what you do have. If you donıt like the Crystal you are not forced
to use it and please, if you donıt have something relevant to say please,
donıt waist our time. To all you that have done a great work for KDE and for
the community wait for the next few days the vector files.

Thank you from all my heart,
Everaldo