List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Re: move crystal icons to hicolour (moving
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2005-06-07 10:18:23

Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> El Martes 07 Junio 2005 01:01, James Richard Tyrer escribió:
>
>> Jonathan Riddell wrote:

>>> There is no such thing as a "hicolor icon", unlike kdeclassic or
>>> crystal it's not an artistic style, any style of icon can go in
>>> there.
>>
>> Yes, and NO!  A HiColor icon is an unthemed icon.  So we know what
>> HiColor is not.  Therefore, Crystal style is not HiColor because
>> Crystal style is strongly themed.
>

> You think KDEClassic - Highcolor do not have a theme?
>
> This is where I do not agree, I do not think you can make an
> "unthemed" icon set at all.

Obviously, it is a question of degree.

> KDEClassic icons clearly are done to fit together well.

Yes, at least some (app) icons in the KDEClassic theme have a stylistic
theme.  The original KOffice app icons are an example.  But, they do not
have strong tonal range or color thematic elements.  And, they do not
have specific strong design elements.  So, while (at least some of) the
KDEClassic app icons have a design theme, it is not so strong that they
do not go well with other HiColor icons for non-KDE apps.  OTOH, many
HiColor toolbar icons (e.g. plain black arrows etc.) simply do not have
a theme.

> As are the Crystal icons. So they too have a theme: light use of
> colour, one-pixel borders and so on.

And, as you say, Crystal icons do have easily recognized strong theme
elements.  What is supposed to identify HiColor is that it they do not
have such strong theme elements.  Hence they are called 'unthemed'.
But, yes you are correct that 'unthemed' is a relative term.

--
JRT