List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: HiColor/Crystal, and some other Artwork
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-10-24 21:32:39

Hermann Thomas wrote:
> Hi I was trying to follow the discusion about the Icons recently and what I
> am writing now might be complete nonsense but I want to keep this post short.
>  Since I am pretty new to all this there are still some questions for me.
> First of all where is the pont in keeping Hicolor?

It is the proper location for unthemed icons.  It is now part of the FreeDesktop
standard.  It is, therefore, needed for compatibility with GNOME. and other.
desktops.

> I think there should be just one default iconset for the same reason there is
>  only one Mailclient, and one Browser, and one Office Suite in KDE. This Icon
>  theme could also be called "Default" to the outside world.

We do not want a theme that is actually called "Default".  We currently have
named icon themes and our *current* default is CrystalSVG.  However there are
icons that are NOT themed.  These unthemed icons should not be combined with
CrystalSVG.  The FreeDesktop standard is that such unthemed icons should be
called (for historical reasons) HiColor (LoColor icons still exist but are
somewhat obsolete).

> The development name can be what ever but If I look into the kontrollcenter I
>  find different Icon themes but none saying "Hey I am the default one". All
> though I think there is room for one more Icon theme for the accsessebilety
> people.

I see no need for this.  The default is simply the one that will be used on a
new installation.

> About wallpaper and other Artwork. Where is the point in keeping all the
> crappy looking Artwork, just look at /kdeartwork/wallpapers. There are many
> better looking free Wallpapers at KDE-Look an I am sure the Autorhs of the
> good stuff will be delighted if KDE will use there work. I guess the majority
>  of you who read this thinks "But the people like this Artwork".

I don't know.  I don't like wallpaper and don't use it.

> So now here is my solution. KED needs a new package called
> "kdealternativeartwork". That would be an nice Home for all the crappy
> Wallpapers and other obsolete Artwork. Now the question is who decides what
> is good and what is obsolete?

AFAIK, nobody really.  The KDE project is not centrally directed.  I don't see a
need for another ArtWork package.  Stuff that isn't included in KDEArtWork
should be relegated to KDELook.

> Where I work (Advertising Industry) this is the job for the Art Director.
> This Is just one person and I think it is important to be just one
> person(Germann saying "Viele Köche verderben den Brei" (Many Cooks will ruin
> the meal)).

Yes, the KDE project does suffer from that problem.

> The Art Director will decide what to use and what will go into
> "kdealternativeartwork". This way KDE will gain a better look and at the same
> time all there is nothing lost. You just have to install the our new KDE
> package "kdealternativeartwork".

I'm not sure that KDE people would listen to such a Tsar.

--
JRT