List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: HiColor Icons
From:       tackat () t-online ! de (Torsten Rahn)
Date:       2004-10-24 12:39:54

> /Every/ application should install an application icon into hicolor, such
> that its icon is available for all themes, crystalsvg or not.

In an ideal world you might be right. Still I think it's just realistic that
people will just paint an icon that fits with the currently used style
(CrystalSVG). And if you will ask them too much (i.e. painting a version for
HiColor as well) they will just copy their crystal-icon into the HiColor-dir
in order to "please" your request.

> we can fork kdelibs/pics/crystalsvg into a project in kdenonbeta, and there
> build a perfect theme from the ground up, where each icon that goes in,
> conforms to technical details as well as design guildelines. It would be a
> SVG only, where PNG version are generated automatically.

Again this would be the ideal-world-suggestion. To survive maintainership in
opensource-land you've got to be more pragmatic. The current way we are
developing the icons in CrystalSVG might not be prefect but it works inspite
of the compromises we make :)

Greetings,
Torsten Rahn