List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: HiColor/Crystal, and some other Artwork
From:       Kenneth Wimer <wimer () suse ! de>
Date:       2004-10-24 13:09:24

* Hermann Thomas <h.thomas@gmx.de> [Oct 24. 2004 12:02]:
> Hi
> I was trying to follow the discusion about the Icons recently and what I am
> writing now might be complete nonsense but I want to keep this post short.
> Since I am pretty new to all this there are still some questions for me.
> First of all where is the pont in keeping Hicolor?

Hicolor is the fallback theme (and as such one can say that it is the
real default theme and that the different distros and desktops add a
theme on top of this, which is their "default" theme).

It all depends on how you look at things. The "default" KDE theme is a link
to a real theme (at this time crystalsvg). Hicolor on the other hand is
the fallback theme for all other themes per the freedesktop.org spec no
to mention that KDE has done it thisi way for a while as well :-)

> I think there should be
> just one default iconset for the same reason there is only one Mailclient,
> and one Browser, and one Office Suite in KDE. This Icon theme could also be
> called "Default" to the outside world. The development name can be what ever
> but If I look into the kontrollcenter I find different Icon themes but none
> saying "Hey I am the default one". All though I think there is room for one
> more Icon theme for the accsessebilety people.

We are starting work on a accesable, usable icon theme. See the aritsts
archive for these mails, as wewll as the accesability list.

> About wallpaper and other Artwork. Where is the point in keeping all the
> crappy looking Artwork, just look at /kdeartwork/wallpapers. There are many
> better looking free Wallpapers at KDE-Look an I am sure the Autorhs of the
> good stuff will be delighted if KDE will use there work.
> I guess the majority of you who read this thinks "But the people like this
> Artwork".

While you are correct that the artwork could be cleaned up a bit it is
comments like this that tell me that we cannot allow one person to
decide what should be removed.

The fact that some stuff should be removed is well known and we will
take care of this. Perhpas you would like to help with this work?

Bye,
Kenneth

--
SUSE Linux - a Novell Company - Nuernberg, Germany