List:       kde-artists
Subject:    K-ARTIST: HiColor/Crystal, and some other Artwork
From:       Hermann Thomas <h.thomas () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-10-24 9:58:33

Hi
I was trying to follow the discusion about the Icons recently and what I am
writing now might be complete nonsense but I want to keep this post short.
Since I am pretty new to all this there are still some questions for me.
First of all where is the pont in keeping Hicolor? I think there should be
just one default iconset for the same reason there is only one Mailclient,
and one Browser, and one Office Suite in KDE. This Icon theme could also be
called "Default" to the outside world. The development name can be what ever
but If I look into the kontrollcenter I find different Icon themes but none
saying "Hey I am the default one". All though I think there is room for one
more Icon theme for the accsessebilety people.

About wallpaper and other Artwork. Where is the point in keeping all the
crappy looking Artwork, just look at /kdeartwork/wallpapers. There are many
better looking free Wallpapers at KDE-Look an I am sure the Autorhs of the
good stuff will be delighted if KDE will use there work.
I guess the majority of you who read this thinks "But the people like this
Artwork".

So now here is my solution. KED needs a new package called
"kdealternativeartwork". That would be an nice Home for all the crappy
Wallpapers and other obsolete Artwork.
Now the question is who decides what is good and what is obsolete?
Where I work (Advertising Industry) this is the job for the Art Director. This
Is just one person and I think it is important to be just one person(Germann
saying "Viele Köche verderben den Brei" (Many Cooks will ruin the meal)). The
Art Director will decide what to use and what will go into
"kdealternativeartwork". This way KDE will gain a better look and at the same
time all there is nothing lost. You just have to install the our new KDE
package "kdealternativeartwork".

Hermann