List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: Crystal icon set, review & authors
From:       Frans Englich <frans.englich () telia ! com>
Date:       2004-03-22 1:22:22

On Thursday 18 March 2004 09:32, Kenneth Wimer wrote:
> * wygiwyg <vukman@dbmail.dk> [Mar 18. 2004 09:21]:
> > You would probably be interested to know who contributed a piece of code
> > to Konqueror or Kmail. I am interested to know who created a particular
> > icon or group of icons. Only to give a proper credit (or suggestions) to
> > a proper person. Nothing more, nothing less.
> >
> > I have in mind a comprehensive review analyzing icon by icon, good and
> > bad design, wrong and right perspectives, color schemes used etc., and
> > maybe it would lead to a better icon set.
>
> What we need more than anything else is people who actually draw
> graphics. This would lead to a better icon set.
>
> One more person discussing the "problems of others" without really
> doing anything about it is not very helpfull at this point.

It is not the most useful one can do, that is drawing icons as you have
noticed yourself, but it is the only thing which gets done at all, and that
is better than nothing, I think.

It is rather interesting actually; the graphics problems we have in KDE is
just as serious as the coding ones, we have just as much resources and just
as compentent people but yet no icons get created. There's a fundamental
problem which I can't put my finger on..

Until that gets solved we can continue to build the environment and prepare
the other aspects, its only for the better. The more thoughts(like wygiwyg's
suggestion) etc. will help us come closer to our ultimate goal - getting
icons done.

From a management perspective I am quite convinced it does not help if one say
"Do some icons!" or "Now the sources are here, I expect some work!" - it is
not motivational and works the least in open source. Icons will come by
itself, and that process is negatively affected by "pushing" it.

So that's what I will continue to do - help with the technical aspects. That's
the only area (I deem) I am of any use.

Cheers,

		Frans