List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: Rule based enhancement of small icons
From:       Ante Wessels <vitanova2 () softhome ! net>
Date:       2004-01-31 12:58:42

On Jueves 22 Enero 2004 22:58, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> > On Thursday 22 January 2004 21:37, James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> > Maybe it is just me, but I only think you notice the first version is
> > fuzzy if you zoom on it. Om my screen I think 16-0 looks the best, and
> > the two others just smired with spots of black.
>
> You may have a point.  It is quite possible that icons that are more easily
> recognizable in smaller sizes might not look as good from an artistic
> perspective.  But, I was just applying a concept that seems to be generally
> accepted that when under sampling removes the boarders in smaller icons
> that they should be restored.  This is the main problem with small
> rendering of SVG icons: the boarders are less than one pixel wide so they
> are either merged with what is next to them or become partially
> transparent.  Either way the edge information is reduced or lost and it is
> the edge information that makes them easily recognizable.

Indexing is a way to make icons lose the fuzzy border. To me the icon appears
sharper. This is something a script can do.

> --
> JRT

Cordialemente,

Ante

******
The most up to date info for kde artists can be found at the wiki:

http://kde.ground.cz/tiki-index.php?page=KDE+Artists

Scripts for kde artists, like svg2png4kde, add border, add drop shadow, change
filename, file conversion:
http://home.uwnet.nl/~vita/linux/index.html

Web course italian, poem generator, poetry, stories and visual art:
http://home.uwnet.nl/~vita

["kalarm-ind.png" (image/png)]
["kalarm.png" (image/png)]