List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: icon guide
From:       Ante Wessels <vitanova2 () softhome ! net>
Date:       2004-01-31 12:10:50

On Viernes 30 Enero 2004 16:37, Wade Olson wrote:

> Some thoughts:
> 1) Some simple tutorials, tricks of the trade, and faq about vector
> programs will be nice.  Alot of people that have previously specialized in
> Photoshop and GIMP may have hesitation about learning the various vector
> programs.

The guide will be published at the wiki, this way hopefully it will stay up to
date. The tutorials do not have to be part of the guide, but can be linked
to.

In my opinion, the sources should be downloadable too. At the moment most are
in kdelibs/pics/crystalsvg. Many are in the apps. I understand they have to
ship with the apps. But it is almost impossible to get to all the sources, I
wouldn't know how, and a question about it here was never answered - nobody
knows? If artists can not get to the sources, how on earth can we expect them
to work on them??

Making the sources available is more important than a style guide. Most
artists only glance at the stuff and find out with trail and terror, uh,
error.

At least they should be linked to from one directory. A script once a week
updating them to kde-look would be much better. These are the fundamentals!

> Does anyone know of any other useful references?
>
> 3) We should keep any accessibility issues in mind:
>
> http://accessibility.kde.org/
>
> For example, is the cystal color palette distinctive to forms of color
> blindess?  Is there any palette choice conflict? (you do mention briefly
> below)

I do not know. AFAIK, Everaldo just started painting... No outline or
whatsoever. No 2 pixels transparent border in the 48 icons...

> 4) Once in place (after Ken's supposed intern does all the dirty work),
> this work should be visible and obvious, and not tucked away on KDE's many
> sites.

The former guide was prominently linked to from the artist site. The new one
will be at the wiki, prominently linked to.

Cordialemente,

Ante

******
The most up to date info for kde artists can be found at the wiki:

http://kde.ground.cz/tiki-index.php?page=KDE+Artists

Scripts for kde artists, like svg2png4kde, add border, add drop shadow, change
filename, file conversion:
http://home.uwnet.nl/~vita/linux/index.html

Web course italian, poem generator, poetry, stories and visual art:
http://home.uwnet.nl/~vita