List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: icon guide
From:       Wade Olson <wadejolson () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-01-30 15:37:17

Ante,

I think that this is a great start.  I can't critique the content, but am glad that this work is
gaining momentum.

Some thoughts:
1) Some simple tutorials, tricks of the trade, and faq about vector programs will be nice.  Alot
of people that have previously specialized in Photoshop and GIMP may have hesitation about
learning the various vector programs.

We may also want to list the program options, as displayed on:

-http://www.w3c.org/Graphics/SVG/SVG-Implementations.htm8

and reference other svg tutorials.

2) To see how others approach icon style guides, if not already done so, we should review sites
such as:
-http://developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/kde/icon-style.html
-http://www.sapdesignguild.org/resources/icon_cookbook/
-http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/APStyleGuide/AppleStyleGuide2003.pdf
-Any gnome style guides that are recent

Such sites may help us with and topics we've skipped.  General style guides (such as Apple's) can
still be useful.

Does anyone know of any other useful references?

3) We should keep any accessibility issues in mind:

http://accessibility.kde.org/

For example, is the cystal color palette distinctive to forms of color blindess?  Is there any
palette choice conflict? (you do mention briefly below)

4) Once in place (after Ken's supposed intern does all the dirty work), this work should be
visible and obvious, and not tucked away on KDE's many sites.