List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: svg style guide
From:       Ante Wessels <vitanova2 () softhome ! net>
Date:       2004-01-22 11:22:32

Some parts of the old icon guide can still be used, fi the principle of visual
consistency does not change over time.

Torsten, can we use what we need from the old guide?

If we keep this tread alive (do not change the subject header), we can discuss
the new guide here and easily find back what we wrote. Write quotable and we
can paste the results in the wiki.

Let's take another look at the krita icon. We can formalize our arguments. Up
till now we said: too many details, not KISS. We can also do the Icon Math.
Let's just count.

The icon has 4 major elements, the inkglass, the pencil, the paper with
landscape on it. 3 of them are fine. The inkglass will loose detail when
scaled down, it will keep it's form. Pencil and piece of paper the same.
There is just one real problem: the landscape. The smallest major element has
about 10 shapes itself. Just count and you can know this will go wrong.

The best icons have one element, a house for the home directory in the
filemanager fi (both gnome and kde have this). The house can have more shapes
itself, it can be scaled down, loose it's detail but will stay recognizable.
An apple, a foot, a hand, a K, elements like this stay recognizable.

The more important the icon, the less elements should be used.

Many artists loose themselves in the 128 x 128 space. Learning them to count
will be of major importance.

--

Cordialemente,

Ante

******
The most up to date info for kde artists can be found at the wiki:

http://kde.ground.cz/tiki-index.php?page=KDE+Artists

Scripts for kde artists, like svg2png4kde, add border, add drop shadow, change
filename, file conversion:
http://home.uwnet.nl/~vita/linux/index.html

Web course italian, poem generator, poetry, stories and visual art:
http://home.uwnet.nl/~vita