List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: svg style guide
From:       Kenneth Wimer <wimer () suse ! de>
Date:       2004-01-20 14:44:11

* Ante Wessels <vitanova2@softhome.net> [Jan 20. 2004 12:15]:
> On Martes 20 Enero 2004 01:53, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> > Kenneth Wimer wrote:
>
> > Yes, we need a style guide.
> >
> > Issue #1, see attached.
> >
> > IMO, this icon simply has too much detail.  What will it look like at
> > 22x22?
>
> With the gimp, straight, sharpenend 25 and sharpened 50.
>
> I understand no source?
>
> O, the question, yes, too much detail. A yellow pencil sticking out does not
> hold. Too literal, then you can lose yourself in details.

This is a major problem with many icons. There are very few SVG icons
that render well at 16x16. Even when drawing the pixel graphics making
the small icons is sometimes problematic. With the number of icons in
KDE it will be quite a task to "Keep" all the "Icons Simple (Stupid)"
:-)

I guess that what I am trying to say is this: although we should "KISS"
there will almost always be problems because of the sheer number of
icons. If this problem is too great, we can either render the small
icons per hand and/or redraw them per hand. In my opinion it would then
almost be better to inlcude two different graphics in the SVGs (in two
different groups with IDs), one for the bigger pics and one for the
smaller.

bye,
ken