List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: svg2png rendering
From:       Kenneth Wimer <wimer () suse ! de>
Date:       2004-01-20 21:37:49

* Wade Olson <wadejolson@yahoo.com> [Jan 20. 2004 18:04]:
> The variables in the equation of svg quality we're discussing seem to be:
> - A standard file format that itself needs to mature
> - Software implementations (SodiPodi, Karbon, AI, etc) of varying degrees of maturity
> - Rendering that is still maturing
> - No standardized style guide
>
> So...why the problems? :)
>
> Thus, without seeing the results of this script, I like the direction of this solution.

Me too...to be honest, I have not had enough time to look at this
either. I think that this is probably the best answer that I have heard
yet.

> Obviously, the solution of multiple svg files based on resolution is not optimal, due to one of
> svg's selling points is the singular image file without regard to size.  Because going that route
> would cause time and work that would later be lost if any of the variables above changed and
> resulted in acceptable quality, other options should be exahuasted first.

Yes. I agree, but with some icons this will be a problem. Because of the
numberr of different icons it is almost impossible to make "simple"
graphics for all of them...think of text editors - how many "simple"
text editor icons are possible? In the end, I agree that you are right,
but I think that we will encounter many problems.

> Can we test some of the problematic files with this new script to see if any settings enhance the
> visibility at 16X16 (I don't have the means at work myself)?  Can the person who reported the
> 16X16 issues (James Tyrer I believe, but not sure) let us know if the new files appear more
> suitable in their opinion?

In 3-4 weeks a "Werkstudent" (a university student who is doing a
praticum at SuSE) will be working for me. We will be testing and
implementing a system at suse to use only svg graphics (using the
scripts in kde, naturally :) I have thought about having the
"Werkstudent" take this time to work on the SVG style guide, as well as
testing and improving scripts, testing programs, etc.

A manager would call this "optimizing synergy" :-) What do you think? I
could use some help on this, so if anyone has any good ideaas, let us
know.

I am posting all of the SVGs that I have (from all of the AI files that
I have), whether they are rendered in linux correctly or not, on
ftp.suse.com/pub/people/wimer/SVGfromAI/
Anyone should feel free to download these files and "fix" them. The
resulting SVGs should then be checked into CVS.

> This task would be the first step in a hopefully methodical approach to determining optimal values
> for this script over many of the current svg icons.

I agree completely.

> If you're still reading here, you win a cookie,

bye,
ken