List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: svg2png rendering
From:       Wade Olson <wadejolson () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-01-20 17:03:26

The variables in the equation of svg quality we're discussing seem to be:
- A standard file format that itself needs to mature
- Software implementations (SodiPodi, Karbon, AI, etc) of varying degrees of maturity
- Rendering that is still maturing
- No standardized style guide

So...why the problems? :)

Thus, without seeing the results of this script, I like the direction of this solution.

Obviously, the solution of multiple svg files based on resolution is not optimal, due to one of
svg's selling points is the singular image file without regard to size.  Because going that route
would cause time and work that would later be lost if any of the variables above changed and
resulted in acceptable quality, other options should be exahuasted first.

Can we test some of the problematic files with this new script to see if any settings enhance the
visibility at 16X16 (I don't have the means at work myself)?  Can the person who reported the
16X16 issues (James Tyrer I believe, but not sure) let us know if the new files appear more
suitable in their opinion?

This task would be the first step in a hopefully methodical approach to determining optimal values
for this script over many of the current svg icons.

If you're still reading here, you win a cookie,
Wade