List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST:SVG viewer?
From:       tackat () t-online ! de
Date:       2002-10-15 11:00:15

Vadim Plessky schrieb:
> On Tuesday 15 October 2002 1:11 pm, luciash d' being

> |  > I can recommend librsvg2, with 'rsvg' application
> capable to display SVG
> |  > on screen.

I can recommend ksvg.

> But question is: what kind of renderer we (KDE users)
> need to get rid of PNG icons? Is Batik good enough to render icon at
22x22
> size?

What we are using for KDE to render SVG-icons is ksvg / ksvg2png.
All those SVGs which have been checked into kdelibs have been rendered

fine and they are rather complex. Although ksvg did have some problems
with
gradients until mid-september those problems have vanished since then.

If you still should experience problems with certain SVG-files please
send
them to wildfox@kde.org or to rwlbuis. They will sell their grandmother

to get them working ;-) And of course you should try to use the most
recent version of HEAD for that purpose.

> I would prefer to stay away from Adobe Illustrator 9
> (which is used by  Everaldo for Crystal icons)

I would prefer to stay away from Adobe Illustrator, too. But right now
it's
the only tool which one can use to create good-looking complex icons.
That's why Everaldo and me used ADobe Illustrator 9 sofar for creating
the SVGs of Crystal. However this will change soon:

From KDE 3.1 on I will try to use Karbon14 which already seems to be
very near to being usable for that purpose. That's why I talked to
lenny and we agreed
that it would really make much sense to focus on getting karbon14 ready
for
icons.

For a screenshot of karbon14 and one of the dozens of crystal icons
that I
created see:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~rwlbuis/karbon/pics/svgimport5.png

The directory contains various interesting screenshots.
For another look at the new texttool have a look here:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~rwlbuis/karbon/pics/newtext2.png

> I think, good (in quality) and *fast* renderer is quite
> important for KDE success in the future.

Yes and that's why you want to use ksvg - or do you use Mozilla these
days, too ;-)?

BTW: I am working from home now and got my new flat.

Tackat