List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST:SVG viewer?
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-10-15 10:17:57

On Tuesday 15 October 2002 1:11 pm, luciash d' being wrote:
|  hello vadim,
|
|  Vadim Plessky wrote:
|  > Hi, Luci!
|  >
|  > Are you still interested in SVg viewer?
|  > I can recommend librsvg2, with 'rsvg' application capable to display SVG
|  > on screen.
|  > I also have experimental converter (based on test-rsvg form librsvg),
|  > which produces PNG images of very high quality.
|
|  thank you for recommendation. i've found already a great svg viewer at
|  http://xml.apache.org/batik site. it's java app called batik-svgviewer and
| it's a part of batik toolkit.
|  anyway i will have a look at rsvg later...
|
|  luci

Hello, Luci!

As far as I know from Dom  Lachowicz (current maintainer of librsvg2), Batik
is very slow. ImageMagick (which also can render SVG) is rather slow, too.

I agree - for static content, Batik can do the job.
But question is: what kind of renderer we (KDE users) need to get rid of PNG
icons? Is Batik good enough to render icon at 22x22 size?

About other SVg renderers
***
Several people told me that KSVG is:
a) not ready yet (no tarbal, etc.)
b) somewhat slow

ksvgtopng (part of KDE 3.1beta) is not very slow but fails to render rather
trivial SVG files (which I created in Sodipodi).
And Adobe SVG viewer is limited, too.

So, I am definitly interested what experience you (and other people) have with
SVG viewers. And what tools people use
I would prefer to stay away from Adobe Illustrator 9 (which is used by
Everaldo for Crystal icons)
Anyway, *creation tool* is one thinng, and *renderer* is another.
I think, good (in quality) and *fast* renderer is quite important for KDE
success in the future.

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)