List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST:kdelook????
From:       ante <vitanova () softhome ! net>
Date:       2002-06-25 9:09:52

On Monday 24 June 2002 23:41, Joerg Gastner wrote:

> well, I guess everyone who uploaded there has experienced some form or
> other of manipulation.  The worst form being a fresh upload which gets
> voted down so quickly beneath the magic 30% border that few people actually
> see the upload.  Which is sad, since some people are being discouraged to
> upload any other content.  :(

Yes, it is bad. Once I uploaded something, and a few minutes later I took a
look. It was already gone... I misused the system myself a bit, brought the
score back to 50 % by logging in a few times. It is stupid, if the first 2-3
votes are negative, you're out. IMHO, an artist can defend his work the first
few hours, keep the score to 50 %.

IIRC, you can always find your own submission by number and by following your
name.

> There obviously are people who have taken the trouble to write scripts (for
> x = 100; connect; vote bad; disconnect; next; (or something like that))
> because some content has completely vanished.  Everaldos mail seems to
> target an example of this "mass-voting".
>
> > Unfotunatelly, the
> > maintainers of kde-look. org know that, and they don't do anything to
> > prevent it.
>
> What would be the alternative?  Require to login before voting?  Who would
> take the trouble to login?  I can't think of any easy solution to this
> problem.

The script kiddies are worse. Of course it is possible to take measures, but
the don't give a F at KDE-look.

There was a discussion piece once at KDE-look, someone bragged that he already
had many accounts, so, requiring to log in first wouldn't help in his case.

> > Every time you connect to internet  if you have dynamic IP (which most of
> > the users have) you will be allowed to vote again.
>
> Yes, right.  But I'm more worried about the people with an industrial
> attitude (the people with scripts).  Because they can make content
> disappear in moments after the uploads.

New content can disappear after 2-3 votes... That is not done by scripts.

>Content which is lost to the
> community.  Because once your score drops below 20%, all you can do is
> delete it.  Nobody is able to see it, nobody can comment, new contributors
> are discouraged, pissed off, stopped dead in their tracks.  Which
> constitues a loss to the community.
>
> The only way out of this (imho) is to let people see the content > 0%.  At
> the moment it is limited to scores > 20%.  I myself have deleted content
> that dropped below 20%.  I felt frustrated because some weirdo had ditched
> me 1 hour after I uploaded.

> Everyone is welcome to check the IDs of the uploads (e.g.
> ...php?content=XXXX&PHP... (XXXX being the ID)) and find the gaps.  Of
> course there are gaps which are due to updates (content keeps its original
> ID after updates) but it is still a significant loss that is displayed.  I
> feel sad for all the people who have uploaded content and have been
> discarded this way.  And what is more:  This is a form of censorship.  And
> to get real paranoid:  What if a major company payed somebody to vote bad
> on good content?  I feel bad about the 20% border...
>
> > But, what pisses me off on that site is not only that some people
> > manipulate with votes but also that some 'artist' 'update' their
> > 'artwork' only to be present on the opening site of kde-look.org (and
> > they haven't updated their 'artwork' at all). So every time users open
> > kde-look.org they can see an icon theme although that theme hasn't been
> > updated at all.
>
> You are right about that one.  That pisses me off too.  "Virtual Updates"
> or whatever you may call it.  The best answer to that would be bad comments
> about this behaviour...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Soyburg

Cordialemente,