List:       kde-artists
Subject:    K-ARTIST:Making icons for my application
From:       Erik Sigra <sigra () home ! se>
Date:       2002-01-31 16:01:06

Hello,
I develop an education application for KDE and need some icons. My artistic
talent is limited to screenshots, so I have to reuse as much as possible. So
I wonder if icons (complete or templates) for the following exists:

Name:           Rules
Purpouse:       Toolbar/menu icon for opening a rules dialog.
Suggested look: A document/book with a §-sign over. (I could try to paint the
                §-sign myself if I find a suitable background.) This icon
                could probably be used by several other applications.

Name:           Map
Purpouse:       Iconlist in a dialog derived from KDialogBase in IconList
                mode.
Suggested look: A normal flat paper map (not a globe) seen from a perspective.
                Recognizable blue/green areas for land/sea and meridians.

The application will have themes. I need at least 1 theme to begin with. I'm
thinking of a mouse theme. For this I need some additional icons:

Name:           Mouse
Purpouse:       Show on a QCanvas.
Suggested look: A mouse seen from above. The direction that the mouse is
                facing must be easily recognizable. (east/north/west/south)
                The application will rotate the pixmap as necessary.

Name:           Cheese
Purpouse:       Show on a QCanvas.
Suggested look: A piece of cheese.

Name:           Cat or Mousetrap (or both)
Purpouse:       Show on a QCanvas.
Suggested look: A cat, mousetrap, or anything else that is dangerous for a
                mouse. Direction is not important.

Name:           Mouse home
Purpouse:       Show on a QCanvas.
Suggested look: A hole in the wall at the floor level (I'm sure you can
                imagine).

And then it would be nice with a:

Name:           Gold item
Purpouse:       Show on a QCanvas.
Suggested look: A piece of gold.

I made some attempts at my own. I made Mouse, Cheese, Mouse home and Gold
item. See the attached files.

I would appreciate any help; links to existing icons, templates, general
suggestions about anything. I can of course only use GPL-compatible icons,
but I can get Ideas from other icons as well.

If don't have any suggestions, I have to create these icons myself. Then I
wonder what application I should use. Do you all use GIMP or what?

["home.png" (image/png)]
["mouse.png" (image/png)]
["cheese.png" (image/png)]
["item.png" (image/png)]