List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Sound in Kde2.0 Beta4
From:       Rod Roark <rod () sunsetsystems ! com>
Date:       2000-09-04 21:41:31

On Mon, 04 Sep 2000, David Grill Watson wrote:
> Now for the REAL truth.
>
> If you have the alsa libs installed, it will use them - but it only works for
> certain versions.
>
> Period.
>
> I uninstalled the alsa libs (even tho I use alsa drivers), simply because OSS
> emulation works flawlessly, and it's much less hassle.

Not sure I understand this.  The core of ALSA, including OSS emulation,
is the alsa-drivers package.  This is the part that has all the
loadable modules and is a pain to understand and install.

Alsa-lib adds some shared libraries which in turn are required by the
alsa-utils package, but AFAIK doesn't add any complexity that's visible
to the user.

-- Rod