List:       kde
Subject:    Re: CVSup access
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       2000-05-04 16:29:08

On Thu, 4 May 2000, Bill Soudan wrote:

> On Thu, 4 May 2000, David Grill Watson wrote:
>
> > Am I the only one who has noticed that cvsup.kde.org has been getting slower
> > and slower?  When I first starting doing regular updates of KDE2 (2 months
> > ago), it was nice and fast (for a modem :).
> >
> > For the last few weeks it's taken several hours to do a complete update (over
> > a cable connection!), and for the last several hours I've been unable to
> > connect, because there are too many users.
> >
> > Perhaps there need to be mirrors of cvsup.kde.org?  After all, it's not a
> > good idea to discourage testers and developers (I've been running KDE2 for a
> > month or so and reporting bugs, and last night I started development on a
> > KDE2 program I intend to release).
>
> I bet once the KDE CVS moves to Sourceforge this will be a non-issue,
> since I imagine everyone will have anonymous CVS access in typical SF
> style.

Cvsuop is not currently used because of a whim. 100 people doing anonymous
cvs checkouts of all KDE can bring ANY computer to its knees, and then
melt it :-)

Keep in mind that if anoncvs is on the same server as the regular one,
this situation would block all CVS work (and I don't need to explain how
much that would suck).

> It also may even be close to the move item, since Kurt was just making
> some noise about cleaning up CVS accounts on kde-devel.

According to his latest mails, wayyy close :-)

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
The stone age didn't end for a lack of stone" Firoz Rasul