List:       kde
Subject:    RE: Compiling KDE for Debian
From:       wsuetholz () centonline ! com
Date:       2000-03-29 14:58:06

Hello,
  The way you can find out if you have a libdl.so (which is the equiv of a .dll)
do the command
$ ls -l /usr/lib/libdl.*
$ ls -l /lib/libdl.*
OR
$ find / -name "libdl.*" -exec ls -l {} \;

The last one will search your entire drive for any files that start with
"libdl." and do a long directory listing of them.

In order to find where _dl_default_scope is really defined requires doing a
nm of all the linkable libraries in the directories that you are linking in.
And, wadeing through all the output from that with grep..   A command I
regularly use is..

$ find /usr/lib -name "*.a" -print -exec nm {} | grep _dl_default_scope \;
$ find /usr/lib -name "*.so" -print -exec nm {} | grep _dl_default_scope \;

These will find the normal link libraries and show you which ones use and
define the label you are looking for.  Then once you find it, you need to
add it into the Makefile.

Try man of find, nm, and grep.  Also try the same commands replacing the
/usr/lib with /lib, and possibly /usr/local/lib or /opt/lib.

If you have trouble following what I'm telling you to do, I would not
recommend using the alpha code.

Currently there is a problem on my Debian dist. with libjpeg that is causing
Konqi to crash when trying to display web pages.  Which I reported on this
list, but didn't get any responses to my message...

The other thing you can do, is run "make -k" which will cause the system
to keep going even if it gets an error.  You then would have to run regular
make afterwords to track down the lingering problems.

Bill Suetholz