List:       kde
Subject:    Compiling KDE for Debian
From:       Bill Caskey <wcaskey () worldnet ! att ! net>
Date:       2000-03-27 17:32:28

Three questions re: KDE on Debian. I'm running Debian 2.1 (CD from McCarty's
book) on my laptop with a customized kernel built from 2.2.14 source. I compiled
and installed all of KDE with kdenetwork being the last module to compile.

1.       After some half-hour or so of compiling, the process terminates while
(apparently) linking ksirc. The following lines are the error messages
generated.

/usr/bin/../lib/libdl.a(dlsym.o): In function 'doit.2':
dlsym.o(.text+0x22): undefined reference to '_dl_default_scope'
dlsym.o(.text+0x4c): undefined reference to '_dl_default_scope'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [ksirc] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/kdenetwork-1.1.2/ksirc'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/kdenetwork-1.1.2/ksirc'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/kdenetwork-1.1.2'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

I updated binutils and libc6 and got the same error. Any ideas about what's
wrong? I've been told I should have libdl.so instead of libdl.a.

2.       Caldera has done a great job on the KDE implementation (running it on
my desktop), single mouse clicks everywhere whereas in the file->open dialogs,
etc. with the generic source, I have to double-click. What do you think the
possibility is of a successful compile of the OpenLinux KDE source on Debian?

3.       Should I consider dropping 1.1.2 and going straight to the KDE-2 alpha?
I've postponed that because (1) although I'm reasonably knowledgeable, I wasn't
sure I could handle the headaches of alpha code, (2) this laptop will be my
regular business machine for travelling and off-site meetings, and (3) I'm
wiritng a paper for my professional society on providing research
administration support for Linux users in the research community and I didn't
want alpha problems to obscure my observations re: office suites, exchanging
files with other OSs, etc.

Thanks...Bill

--
Bill Caskey