List:       kde
Subject:    Re: How about a IE clone for Linux?
From:       Kevin Forge <forge () myrealbox ! com>
Date:       2000-03-20 2:07:40

"Timothy R. Butler" wrote:

> > I word process a file on a later machine that had a later version of Win
> > Word I can not take that file back to the old laptop unless I save it in
> > an old format.  This is a process that is easily done but being a pain
> > in the butt is many times overlooked.
>
>   That is just necessary evil, you might say. I don't like fooling with
> legacy X programs (rather use KDE apps, of course), but I just have to. I'd
> rather not have to save stuff for WordPerfect, but I have to. I bet KWord
> will do the same thing 5 years from now.

I am the proud owner of an IBM PS/2 with a 386 CPU that runs Windows
3.11
One of the few useful applications on the tiny 30 Meg drive is Novel
Wordperfect 6.0

It is able to read the files from Wordperfect 7,8 and 2000 just fine.
This is primitive software by Computer industry standards.  In contrast
the more recent Word95 can't read files from Word97.  A mear two year
gap.  Never mind that WordPerfect 8 and 2000 seam more featurefull
to me than any Microsoft Word Processor ( and I have been using Office
2K
since the BETAs )

> > I agree with you in your assessment of what people want and that MS is
> > catering to their desires. Where I disagree with you is not in what MS
>
> And, IMO, that is more important than anything else. If there was an open
> source tractor trailer or a car with an EULA, most people would by the car
> just because they don't want to fool with the 16 wheeler.

Onless the Eula says you nead to buy a seperate care for each member of
the family even if you plan to "carpool" :)

> Like I said, above they can't just intrude, unless it is something I
> agreed to. I could sue the pants off of 'em if they intrude without that
> being something they are allowed to do under the EULA.

You haven't read the UCITA yet have you ?  This is one of the things
they plan to make legal.  Shutting down the software you have licensed
from them if you violate the license agreement.  All they need to do
after that is put a time limit in that license agreement.

Before you reply to this remember the fiasco with Sun and Blackdown.
Corporate lawyers actually earn the money they are paid.  They NEVER
put any clause in any contract or license agreement without plans to
execute that clause if the situation requires it.  So if it says "1
Kilo of flesh required" ask your doctor about the health impact.

> Vote with your usage. I guarantee that probably 50-75% of knowledgeable IT
> people would quit using MSIE if it updated itself. Look at the uproar Real
> Networks caused with RealJukebox. So much that the changed their act in
> _one_week_.

Knowledgeable IT people are a minority.  Ask AOL how important they are
to success in the mass market.