List:       kde
Subject:    Re: How about a IE clone for Linux?
From:       Gordon Messmer <yinyang () eburg ! com>
Date:       2000-03-17 5:25:08

"Timothy R. Butler" wrote:
> I'm curious, Linux users (including myself) will lecture on why open source
> is better, why free is better, etc. However, in the next breath (while these
> users would never use the totally FREE, but not open source IE),

If only Richard were here....  Remember not to confuse "free" as in
liberty with "free" as in "gratis".  Getting your software without
paying for it is great, but money makes the world go round.  I'm not
afraid to pay for my applications, if paying insures that work continues
in a timely manner, and the software is advanced.

I would never ever call IE "free".

> they'll
> recommend a browser that not only isn't open source, but also costs $$$
> (Opera).

Some people do that, but not me.  I can't stand Opera.  I don't like
window in window MDI.  I don't like the lack of features.  If I wanted
light, I'd use lynx.  I frequently do use lynx.  (Sometimes I even use
"nc", hows that for light!!)  Most of the time I use netscape, though I
don't recommend it.  When people ask me what I _like_, I tell them that
"I don't like any of the currently available browsers, but mozilla could
change that."

MSG