List:       kde
Subject:    Re: How about a IE clone for Linux?
From:       Gordon Messmer <yinyang () eburg ! com>
Date:       2000-03-17 5:51:53

"Timothy R. Butler" wrote:
>   I must disagree with you. (1) Microsoft, nor Apple, nor most reputable
> proprietary companies force new updates on you. I know too many people still
> using Windows 95 (rather the 98), and it is plenty of proof they don't.

Really?  How about a few examples to the contrary.  I work for a rather
small computer shop, and even I have had customers ask me why they were
forced to install IE 5 along with the latest copy of quicken.  One of
them was _really_ upset, because one of the primary locations that she
conducts business does not allow internet access, and quicken apparently
REQUIRES that you update it's tax tables (or something) over the
internet, or it will stop working.  If it's updating it's tables, I
wonder if it that's the only thing it's updating.  Maybe a bugfix or
two...maybe an additional IE component...  Didn't someone say earlier
that Microsoft has purchased Intuit??

What about Office, with it's incompatible file formats?  Microsoft knows
that most people can't be troubled to learn how to export their files in
separate formats.  So if one branch of your business upgrades, then the
other branches are going to have to upgrade, too.  Honestly, if you can
spend your money training your employees to export their files in the
correct format for any given branch, and keep up to date on exactly what
software that branch is using OR just update them all in the hopes that
Office might crash less frequently what do you think a manager is going
to do?  He's going to give MS the money.

And what about Internet Connection Sharing.  Is that available as a
separate product?  No!  Not from Microsoft, anyway.  If you want that,
you'll have to "upgrade" to an OS that's considerably less stable, has
more resource requirements, contains _EVERY_MAJOR_FLAW_ in Win95 that I
know of, and has abysmal PCI handling.

>   That is why I like Linux, however Linux doesn't have Microsoft Word
> (nothing compares if you are use to Word),

I've no use for Word.  If my work can't be expressed in plain text, then
it's layout/presentation oriented.  KWord, however, has my attention.
KWord is oriented toward most (all?) of the things I grew accustomed to
when I started using Adobe Pagemaker on a Mac Classic (and later, the LC
III).

> Microsoft Outlook (waiting for
> Magellan),

Magellan, or Evolution.  Both look really nice.  I wonder how Empath is
going to turn out, too..

> or Microsoft Internet Explorer. MSIE in my opinion is much more
> intuitive and smarter than Netscape.

Really?  I've never seen the difference.  The primary difference that I
do see, isn't in the use, but the configuration, where I think Netscape
is a hell of a lot smarter.  In particular, I don't care for Internet
explorer's attempt to group all of their settings logically, with lots
of descriptive information, except for all the stuff that they threw on
that last tab, which is most of the options, and the most used options,
as well.

> For example, Windows
> automatically asks if I want to go online when I open an internet enabled
> application, Internet Explorer's intelli-stuff fills in forms, remembers
> URLs (and automagically suggests them, etc.) This is what people want. IMO.

Yes, autodial is good, but dialing will never be transparent.  The delay
in particular prevents that.  IMHO, diald is better than Windows'
autodial.

And I hate the auto-fill in IE.  The ONLY thing that I'm going to ever
fill in repeatedly is usernames/passwords.  I DO NOT want a single user
OS to remember my usernames and passwords.  I believe that there was a
bugtraq announcement over an issue with IE remembering things that it
was specifically told not to...

I'm done ranting now.  :)
MSG