List:       kde
Subject:    Re: kstart question
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () sh ! cvut ! cz>
Date:       1999-11-01 21:56:30

On Po, 01 lis 1999, Hendrik Muhs wrote :
>Hello,
>
>I don't understand the option -window in kstart, what means it?
>
>Something to do with PPID?
>
>What happens?
>
>Why should I use this?

 Kstart runs the application given it as its first argument and it needs to know
when it creates its main window. Unfortunately, under X it's quite complicated
to find out which window belongs to what application, and here you use the
-window argument to help kstart to find the window. Kstart simply starts the
given application and waits for a newly created window whose title matches the
title given with -window option. When it finds such window, it performs the
requested operation with this window.
 For example, if I want to run my Licq on the 8th desktop, I use 'kstart licq
-window KLicq -desktop 8' , kstart runs licq and waits for a window with title
which contains 'KLicq' and this window moves to desktop 8.

>Hendrik
>
>P.S. excuse me for my bad english

 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak@email.cz http://dforce.sh.cvut.cz/~seli