List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Lockup in KDE
From:       Ian Zepp <icszepp () islc ! net>
Date:       1999-08-15 19:29:52

I can answer this one myself. :) In netscape, when you reply to a message, it
frequently puts the test of the message being replied to in the little edit
window. Then, when you type something in the edit window, it constantly bumps
that text down. For some reason, this fills up your memory and then your swap
file as Netscape continues to bump down the message.

I've sat and watched as netscape grows to fill and entire 64M swap partition.
Needless to say, once you run out of swap space, the system slows to nothing.

Only work around I can offer is this: remove the old message you are replying
to in the edit window before starting to type your message.

Hope this help

Ian

> All of my experiences have been while using Netscape.  Maybe I just use
Netscape alot, I don't know.  Are you using the libc5 version or the glibc one?
 I have the latest glibc one from the Mandrake updates site.  Here is some more
info. >  > This is the second time I am writing a response to this post.  (My
ISP offers an HTML based e-mail access and I use that)  The first response -
while writing it my hard drive began going nuts I let it go for 10 minutes and
was forced to turn off the PC with the power switch.  I tried CTL-ALT-DEL and
it didn't work.  The mouse would work very slowly.  I thought a core dump was
eating my CPU time up at first but when Linux came back up I did "find / -name
core -print" (as root) and it found nothing.  During the fschk on reboot, only
one inode was deleted and the reason was "0 date/time".  Could this have been a
core dump that was not finished?  I was realy hopping for a core dump,
sometimes they have some regular words in them and you can figure out what was
doing it. >  > I am now running KDE 1.1.2pre dated 19990720.  I downloaded and
compiled from the source yesterday.  I feel better about source code than RPM's
just personal preference.  Maybe this will help.  One of posts said Mandrake
uses more optimizations than RedHat so maybe by not optimizing quit so much I
will be more stable.    I have an AMD k6-2 300 with 64 megs ram and 100mb Swap
file. >  > Another thing about my "freeze ups".  They don't realy freeze the
computer (with exception of todays hard drive thrashing).  I can usually
CTL-ALT-DEL and avoid the massive fschk stuff.  Also many times I am
downloading files and can pick up the phone and listen to the modems talk, so
its more of a failure to refresh the screen or something.  My computer is
actually running.  I don't know.  But only in Netscape for me. >  > John >  >
---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- > From: Bob Koss
<rskoss@oma.com> > Reply-To: kde@lists.netcentral.net > Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999
09:11:54 -0400 (EDT) >  > >I don't think this is a netscape thing. I've had
lockups whether NS was > running or not. Yesterday, XEmacs locked up on me. >
> One poster pointed to kfm as the culprit, and that indeed undid the lock. >
Of course I lost my desktop when I killed kfm. >  >  > On Sun, 15 Aug 1999,
Terry wrote: >  > > I use true-type fonts in netscape and have not had any
lockups yet. FYI > > running RH6.0...kernel 2.2X.X and AMD K6-2 @300mhz with
96meg of PC100 > > SDRAM. > >  > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: John
<kde@lists.netcentral.net> > > Sent: Saturday, August 14, 1999 6:48 PM > >
Subject: Re: Lockup in KDE > >  > >  > > > I finally filtered through all the
rest of the stuff in this thread and > > found a response to my question.  As
to why I run multiple Netscape's is > > because I just always have alot of crap
going on and don't have the time to > > do just one thing.  That is why I stick
to LInux at home in the first place, > > I can get twice the stuff done at the
same time.  Minor lockups aside. > > >

Ian Zepp
Email: icszepp@islc.net
Web:   http://www.islc.net/~icszepp