List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Lockup in KDE
From:       dep <dep () westnet ! com>
Date:       1999-08-13 2:55:39

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
| The event that seem to cause the system to
|become unresponsive is clicking on a folder to browse its contents in kfm.

when this is happening, is the little gear icon in the upper right
rotating? in some cases -- for instance, opening /dev in kfm -- it
can take quite awhile for the directory to be read in.

|When this happens, all instances of kfm are hung.

how many are you typically running?

|If I switch to another
|virtual desktop and flip back to the desktop with the hung kfm window, the
|kfm window will not redraw properly.

what video card and x server are you using?

|In fact, all the icons on the desktop
|change to black blobs. The way that I deal with this is to use the
|Control-Alt-Backspace sequence to bail out of X to the shell prompt.
|Attempting to startx will cause the X server to crash so I use
|Xconfigurator to configure X and then do a startx. I could run for a week
|without a hitch and I could have this happen four times a day. There is no
|discernible pattern. I have experienced this on more than one system so it
|rules out hardware.

well, no, actually, it doesn't, in that this *doesn't* happen to the
vast majority of us and it does happen on multiple systems that you
are using. so there must be a common element in your machines or your
configuration. also, which version of kde are you using (caldera
shipped 1.1; red hat the 1.1.1-pre2; i have no idea which one
mandrake shipped). did you install over an existing version? which
version of xfree are you running? again, there has to be come common
attribute here.

--
                2000 is a number that breaks computers.