List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Lockup in KDE
From:       CLIFFORD ILKAY <clifford_ilkay () dinamis ! com>
Date:       1999-08-13 2:48:17

Hi Rob,

I run Mandrake 6 on a dual P2/333 Intel Dakota motherboard system. I too
experience the lock up problem described by Doug Young when I use KDE. It
has nothing to do with Netscape as far as I can determine. It is a random
and non-reproducible event. The event that seem to cause the system to
become unresponsive is clicking on a folder to browse its contents in kfm.
When this happens, all instances of kfm are hung. If I switch to another
virtual desktop and flip back to the desktop with the hung kfm window, the
kfm window will not redraw properly. In fact, all the icons on the desktop
change to black blobs. The way that I deal with this is to use the
Control-Alt-Backspace sequence to bail out of X to the shell prompt.
Attempting to startx will cause the X server to crash so I use
Xconfigurator to configure X and then do a startx. I could run for a week
without a hitch and I could have this happen four times a day. There is no
discernible pattern. I have experienced this on more than one system so it
rules out hardware.

At 11:59 AM 8/12/1999 +0200, Rob Kaper wrote:
>Wait, I think it's possible to configure X in such a way that
>Ctrl-Alt-BAckspace will not work and shut it down, it might be that Mandrake
>disabled that indeed.

See above. Mandrake did nothing of the sort. I have used this many times.

>Ctrl-Alt-F1 should however bring you towards a login screen (text mode) from
>where you can restore things to normal (with some help, of course). I'd be
>surprised if Mandrake disabled virtual consoles as well. Like I said, they
>are extremely useful especially when things fail or misbehave.

This also works.

>And Ctrl-Alt-Del should reboot your system gracefully, unless Mandrake
>disabled Ctrl-Alt-Del as well, I know it's possible to do that too.

This will only work if X is not running. I think this is a good thing. I
would not want someone walking up to my console (running KDE) which is
locked and hitting Control-Alt-Delete to bring up the login prompt as one
would in NT and inadvertantly shutting down the server.

Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation
3266 Yonge Street, Suite 1419