List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Switching users fast?
From:       Jeffrey D Anderson <JDAnderson () lbl ! gov>
Date:       1999-08-09 22:16:59

Jeremy Blosser writes:
 > Jeffrey D Anderson [JDAnderson@lbl.gov] wrote:
 > > -- Jeremy Blosser writes:
 >
 > Ok, now I remember this... the operative part of the issue is that it only
 > happens if the two KDE's share the same home dir (eg, are the same user).
 > We were specifically discussing two different users running KDE... not that
 > what you mentioned doesn't need fixing, but that's why I was confused.

Yes, I was a little confused too.  The original question was about
quickly logging in as a different user, but when you suggested
starting multiple displays you started out

>  >It's not a "log in as another user" option, but I find it more useful
>  > anyway to just start a second X session using 'startx -- :1'.

which would be problematic if the user started the second session
under the same account.

KDE is definitely a great piece of work, and I'm setting it up as the
default desktop whenever I can get away with it around here.  This is
just one of those little niggling things that make people think
"are we sure we want to give up real unix for this PC stuff?"  Of
course they miss the point entirely since KDE isn't just linux, nor is
linux KDE.