List:       kde
Subject:    RE: KDE - OK
From:       "Markus Holzem" <markus () holzem ! de>
Date:       1999-07-06 17:56:05

> > The single click vs. double click thing is a tricky one.
> I agree :-)
>
> > I personally
> > think the single click is too valuable as a single-item-selector to use
> > it as a directory changer, or application launcher, or anything else.
> > I've never seen any evidence that people have trouble with double
> > clicking as some have suggested (and I do actually read books on this
> > subject!).
> They don't have problems, if the UI is consistent and there are e. g.
> only double-clicks. But did you notice, that in the beginning of the
> browser-area everybody made a double-click on a link?
>
> > But what I think is irrelevant. That's how KDE works, and unless there's
> > a multi-lateral agreement to change it, that's how everyone should do
> > it. KExplorer, for instance, uses double clicks. I think it's better,
> > but it damn confusing when moving between kfm and KExplorer.
> If you prefer double-clicks: would you also prefer double-clicks for the
> panel to start an application? If not: you could argue, that in the
> panel there are buttons and in kfm there are icons, but does an "normal"
> user know the difference? It's a real difficult problem...

This is probably a bad comparison. kpanel is a kind of toolbar. Toolbars
have buttons and buttons are executed by singleclick - nobody would try
a double click.

Back to the singleclick/doubleclick:

Generally you can say for any user interface element:

  singleclick -> selection or unselection
  doubleclick -> perform action

Now the exceptions:

  * Internet browsers
  * Hypertext systems
  * similar applications

don't have the option to select something. You click on a link and
implicitly perform the action to load a new page. This is widly accepted
by all users, even new ones.

Now this idea was transported to other applications

  * desktop
  * filemanagers

Since you have links on your desktop and in your filemanager they should
be executed the same way like in the browser. This is consistent, BUT
you lack the ability to select objects the same way like before and this
is inconsistent. It is personal preference which consistency you want:
the mouse handling consistency or the link execution consistency.

Since singleclick=action is the default for KDE and is widely accepted
we need a replacement for the selection action. I would propose the
solution MS made for Windows:

 * when you point on an object you get a visual feedback, i.e. the
   textcolour of the icon name changes
 * when you stay longer (~500ms) the object will be selected. i.e.
   the background of the icon name changes.
 * if you use modifier keys (SHIFT=extend selection or CTRL=use toggle
   mode) it works in the old singleclick/doubleclick manner.

You get easily used to it, especially to the visual feedback on links
and icon names. If you look over the internet you find a lot of websites
that try to imitate that by using different coloured images and JavaScript.

It is a good idea to make it configurable to choose between single and
double click on the desktop and in filemanagers, but I don't think it
makes sense for hypertext etc.

> > The solution which will keep everyone happy is to add configurability.
> > If all apps can rebind CTRL-F or single and double clicks, the developer
> > can say they've followed the guidelines, and the user can do things just
> > how they want if they can be bothered.
> Configurability is ok, but you should be able to configure it in one
> central point e. g. the control-center and not for every application.

Kill me, but guidelines are not only a corselette for the application
developer but also a kind of educational process for the user. If we
e.g. fix cut/copy/paste to CTRL-XCV he will be able to switch between
OSs (Windows, CDE, OS/2, Mac) without problem. Changing colours easily
may result in very bad contrasts that hurt the eye. Using balanced
themes is the better option. There are lots of similar examples. So
configurability has its limits.

Markus