List:       kde
Subject:    RE: New KDE2.0 widget theme preview screenshot
From:       Mosfet <mosfet () jorsm ! com>
Date:       1999-07-06 17:47:51

Well, I do have to admit I usually am not selecting menu items on windows that
don't currently have focus so your main point doesn't effect my usability. I do
have *lots* of windows tho, and having one menubar decreases the real estate
needed for the individual windows.

You usually have to move the mouse a little further tho. So I guess it will
take 600 milliseconds to get to the menu item instead to 500 ;-)

Also, and I think this is important - is the fact that the menu is always in
the same position no matter where the window is. This may sound irrelevant, but
when I am typing something and want to select a menu option I can move the
mouse to the correct location completely subconciously because it is always in
the exact same place. This does help believe it or not, it is a nice design. I
no longer even have to think about where to select my menu options. My brain
can be in total autopilot for that part of the interface. Not that embedding
menus in the window is a complex task or anything, but having it always in the
same place does have an advantage here IMHO. You talk about users wanting the
simplest approach, well for many users this is it.

I can see why Mac users love this feature. It really does grow on you and when
you have used it for awhile not having it in the same place does get really
annoying.

Either way, KDE supports both so there is no problem for either of us.

Tue, 06 Jul 1999, Santiago Burbano wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Jul 1999, Mosfet wrote:
> >> You think this turned into a flame?? No, for a group of what seems to be
> >> primarily Linux users this was a relatively calm exchange ;-) Note I use
> Linux
> >> too...
>
> >Of course, we can always try and make it a flame. :o)
>
> ;-D   (I bet somebody will try to).
>
> >I think it is arrogant to state that Mac menubars are bad GUI design.
> >The reason I think this is that Apple is using them a long, long time
> >now. And keeps using them. Apple has a history of _very_ good GUI
> >design. They always considered it very important. Well, Microsoft
> >does so as well, but in another way; they go for the features, not
> >for consitency. Which I call _bad_ GUI design.
>
> That's not my point. My point is that it takes 2 mouse clicks and 1 move to
> drop down a menu option if the application I want is not currently active.
> The W95 way just takes 1 click as long as the option is visible. Worst case,
> if the option is not visible it takes the same as Mac way. Even if you use
> the focus-follows-mouse option, it is not as functional because it forces
> you to arrange your desktop so you won't pass over any other window in your
> way from the window to the menu (not always easy).
>

> If I have two ways of doing the same thing, I always choose/like the
> shortest one (like anybody else). It's not a question of personal
> preferences, or some abstract design concept, it's just the plain laziness
> that works all around the world. Is it good design? Is it bad? I don't care,
> it's just __short__

No, not like anyone else. KDE has gotten *great* response on the top oriented
menubar. Don't ask me why, but people (including me) really like it.

> IMHO, consistency is not a question of where the menubar is, but what
its > elements are, how they behave, what shortcuts are available, etc. I agree

mosfet@kde.org
mosfet@jorsm.com