List:       kde
Subject:    Re: New KDE2.0 widget theme preview screenshot
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () total ! net>
Date:       1999-07-05 18:37:48

On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Dave Leigh wrote:

> Mosfet wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 05 Jul 1999, Santiago Burbano wrote:
> >
> > > Also, it makes more difficult to use the system. Right now, if I want to use
> > > a menu option I just click on the menu bar and it drops down (activating the
> > > window if it wasn't already). With this menu bar on top, I would click on
> > > the window to activate it(and get the menu changed) and then, move the
> > > pointer up to the menu bar and press the option to get it dropped down. No
> > > comments...
> > >

> > No, this is not true. You just click on the menu item and the dropdown menu
> > shows up. You don't have to click on it to gain focus first. Try it, it acts
> > just like the Mac.
>
> Re-read what he said:  it IS true.  You have to give whatever app you're
> interested in using have the focus so that the shared menu knows what options to
> display.  With Mac-style menus enabled, open more than one application on the
> screen, say kmail, and then klyx.  To access the kmail file pulldown you  have to
> click on the kmail window to give it focus.  THEN you can access the file menu.
>
> Try it again without the Mac style menus.  So long as the kmail file menu is
> visible you can click directly on it.  Kmail then gets focus AND displays the
> menu, all in one step.
>
> The shared menu bar is an improperly applied metaphor.  It requires the user to
> know which window has focus (not always obvious when you've got applications that
> are "always on top"), and it simply doesn't belong in a GUI.  Proper design
> should have a menu specific to each app WITH THE APP.  System-wide options should
> be available a seperate menu (such as the K menu).  Fortunately, the Mac style
> menu is configurable and you can turn it off.

What the heck are we doing here?

Users start to complain for too much configurability :-(

the mac-like menubar is a result of the hard work of many developers which
anyways answered to a lot of users request. It is an unique feature in
Unix, and users coming from Mac seem to love it very much.

Understading that such a feature isn't to the likes of anybody, the
developers made it configurable. One can use it or not, to its like.

Users arguing on the (lack of) usefulness of a feature they don't like
(*and* they're not forced to use) are just loosing their times.

BTW, Mosfet is right. One can combine mac menus with focus-follows-mouse
and the usability of mac-like menubar doesn't then differ in any way from
the usability of the windows-like menubars.

Cristian