List:       kde
Subject:    Re: New KDE2.0 widget theme preview screenshot
From:       Dave Leigh <dave_leigh () mindspring ! com>
Date:       1999-07-05 18:12:41

Mosfet wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Jul 1999, Santiago Burbano wrote:
>
> > Also, it makes more difficult to use the system. Right now, if I want to use
> > a menu option I just click on the menu bar and it drops down (activating the
> > window if it wasn't already). With this menu bar on top, I would click on
> > the window to activate it(and get the menu changed) and then, move the
> > pointer up to the menu bar and press the option to get it dropped down. No
> > comments...
> >

> No, this is not true. You just click on the menu item and the dropdown menu
> shows up. You don't have to click on it to gain focus first. Try it, it acts
> just like the Mac.

Re-read what he said:  it IS true.  You have to give whatever app you're
interested in using have the focus so that the shared menu knows what options to
display.  With Mac-style menus enabled, open more than one application on the
screen, say kmail, and then klyx.  To access the kmail file pulldown you  have to
click on the kmail window to give it focus.  THEN you can access the file menu.

Try it again without the Mac style menus.  So long as the kmail file menu is
visible you can click directly on it.  Kmail then gets focus AND displays the
menu, all in one step.

The shared menu bar is an improperly applied metaphor.  It requires the user to
know which window has focus (not always obvious when you've got applications that
are "always on top"), and it simply doesn't belong in a GUI.  Proper design
should have a menu specific to each app WITH THE APP.  System-wide options should
be available a seperate menu (such as the K menu).  Fortunately, the Mac style
menu is configurable and you can turn it off.

--
    mailto:dave.leigh@cratchit.org
    http://www.cratchit.org/dleigh