List:       kde
Subject:    Re: CVSUP Source Problems
From:       Kevin Street <street () iname ! com>
Date:       1998-05-31 5:47:44

"Dale M. Flaven" <dflaven@netport.com> writes:

> I would like to get an answer to a simple question.
> Is the source in cvs.kde.org suppose to always be
> compile-able or is it cross-my-fingers and hope?
> Then if something does not compile, wait a day or
> so, update the source using cvsup and try again.
> This is what I have been doing since I started
> using cvsup. Since after the first compile I have
> not had all the packages compile completely through.
> If it is not a missing zoom.h in kghostview, it is
> a missing moc file and now it is the following:

I'm not one of the developers, but I'll give you my opinion anyway:
The CVSup sources are *way* out at the bleeding edge - you should not
expect that they'll always compile and if they do compile, they will
have bugs and rough edges.  The snaps are just slightly back from the
edge, they'll also be unstable.  Even the releases are BETA level.
I'd expect them to compile, but not on every platform, and they'll
have bugs too.

With that in mind, if you want to follow the code available via CVSup
(as I do), you need to be willing to dig in and find out why they
don't compile.  If it looks like `work in progress' that the developer
is likely to fix, then wait a day or two for that part.  If it looks
like a problem specific to your platform or environment, then fix it
and contribute patches back to the developer.  If it looks like the
developer forgot to commit something to cvs, then let him know.

What I do is keep my own top level Makefile and update it so it skips
over the non-working pieces as I encounter them.  When I see updates
to pieces that have not been working I try them out and add them back
into my Makefile if they're fixed.
--
Kevin Street
street@iName.com