List:       kde
Subject:    Re: kppp proposal
From:       "Brandon K. Matthews" <bmatt () devils ! eng ! fsu ! edu>
Date:       1998-05-28 22:24:49

On Thu, 28 May 1998, David Klemm wrote:
>Hi,
>
>today i forgot to disconnect via kppp and my modem was online for 30 minutes
>without any traffic on the line. What about having and option in the kppp
>setup that after a specified period of no traffic the line will be cut?

I'm about to start running a server which needs to be up 24/7... perhaps some
form of a keep-alive could be implemeted at the same time the timeout
feature is...

One idea is to allow the user to specify an IP to ping every so often (user
spec'd) with a random size packet (or also user spec'd?)

Of course ping -i 300 123.456.789.012 works too ;-)