List:       kde
Subject:    Re: KRN
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1997-08-19 21:07:10

On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Stephan Witoszynskyj wrote:

> I just compiled KDE and since I played around the last time (~ 1 month
> ago), it has evolved amazingly.
>
> One of the applications I tried was krn. Although it's already a great
> programme there are a few improvements that have to be made IMO (at
> least before I'm able to use it more frequent). Of course I'm aware of the
> fact that it's only version 0.0.4
>
> Here are my comments:
>
> * regular expressions on news group names: the news server at my
> university has several 10.000 newsgroups, therefore it's really necessary
> to have some possibilty to search the list and to reduce the size

Could you elaborate a little on this?
You mean like giving a regexp and then get subscribed to the groups that
match it?

> * speed: I guess it's because of the enormous number of news groups, but
> krn is so slow that's almost impossible to use it

krn is quite slow, that's true :-(.

A big part of it is due to a very inefficient way to store article
information (one on each file). In that way, when you open a group with
2000 articles, it will delay quite a bit while it opens, reads, and
closes 2000 files. I'm working on a fix, but it will take a while.

If I could force everybody to install a relational database in their
systems, this would be fairly trivial ;-)

The network part should not be really slow. I certainly see no easy ways
to make it much faster, but I can always look harder.

Once again, if you tell me which parts you find the slowest, I'll look
harder into that.

> IMHO krn is a very promising project.

Thanks!

> Stephan
>
> ---
> Stephan Witoszynskyj <swito@fsph2.htu.tuwien.ac.at>
>
> Chairman of the Organizing Committee of the
> International Conference for Physics Students '97 (ICPS '97)
> E-mail: icps97@tuwien.ac.at
> ---
> Member of the Executive Committee of the
> International Association of Physics Students (IAPS)
> URL:http://www.nikhef.nl/pub/iaps/

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina